Sunday, April 29, 2007

Creeped Out.

Yesterday I had a dental appointment at 8 a.m. so I didn't go running with everyone else. I ran an uneventful loop around Spot Pond and then headed down a busier road to my house. In the last quarter-mile I zig-zagged through some neighborhood streets and finally stopped at my front steps. I bent over and untied my laces to get my key off my shoe and heard the sound of a car engine idling behind me. I looked back and about 20 ft away was a tan four-door sedan sitting there with the window down and a white male staring. When I looked he started moving slowly. I grabbed my key and started walking to the back of my house - as if he wouldn't think I lived there now. Totally stupid. I don't know what I was thinking.

He moved slowly for a few seconds, then sped up real fast and did a quick U-turn at the end of my street. I was still watching him from my backyard. He sped back and stopped at the side yard of my house and we made eye contact just as I poked my head out to see if he was there. At that point, I sprinted to the back door, unlocked it, bolted it once in, ran upstairs, tore through the back door of my apartment and he was gone by the time I got to the front window. Dang.

I went to the police station and told them what happened. I didn't have much info for them. No make and model: I can hardly tell the difference between a Toyota and BMW. No license number: I didn't see it. They said they'd patrol my street more often and gave me a whistle. Gee thanks.

Now I'm thoroughly creeped out and glancing out my window every five minutes. He knows where I live! He knows that I run. And unfortunately I ran and came home at the same time that I do almost every morning. I'm telling all my neighbors who to look for and next week I'll be in Montana so that makes me feel a little better. But yuck! Don't people have better things to do at 6:50 a.m. on a Saturday morning?

-Emily

1 comment:

Boston Run Gals said...

Emily - that is really creepy. Be careful. Maybe try to change the time you run each day - that is definitely something I've thought about with you ladies running every day at the same time! Also, maybe bring a cell phone - inconvenient - but practical. Or, Brad suggested, you could run with a gigantic baseball bat.

*Laura