Sunday, March 11, 2007

Magic Juice and Deep Thoughts

The drink of champions. After every long run. Next day - FULLY recovered. Not exaggerating.
1-2 cups of Vanilla Soy milk
2 bananas
Bunch of chunks of pineapples, papayas, peaches
3 ice cubes
1 scoop of Soy protein powder.
Blend together until liquified.

Had one yesterday after a long run with a few tempo miles at the end. Woke up this morning and felt like I hadn't run a step yesterday. I'm telling ya, its the bombdiggidy!

Today, Famous and I ran the muddy trails of Jamaica Pond. It was the first time in months that my pasty white legs had seen sunlight. 49 degrees. The run felt significantly easier than most of the runs I've done over the past few months and our pace was the same as usual...the warm weather changed everything!

I've been thinking lately about the stability that running provides. As many of you know, Brad and I have just purchased a condo in Brookline. We've spent the past month in a constant state of uncertainty as we've searched for homes, compared mortgage rates, shopped for lawyers, negotiated selling price, etc... the list goes on and on. Add this to our already hectic lives and ever-changing job activities (Brad teaches, I counsel - different day, different game type-jobs) and we've got ourselves a recipe for a constant state of pandemonium. Lately, I've used my runs as levelers for the rest of my life. As I notice my world becoming increasingly chaotic, I find myself craving the serenity and consistency of a good ol' fashioned run. I find comfort in lacing up my well-worn Nikes with the permanent mud stains, strapping on my baby blue Timex at the 2nd hole, throwing the 20 clips in my hair to hold back my funky locks, and heading out the door for that well-needed 90 minutes of monotonous quiet fresh air. Or, if I don't need the quietness of a solitary run, I'll hook up with some of my favorite people in the world and spend some time doing my favorite thing, running, with my favorite friends. Who can complain about that? What a great life I lead. I sometimes forget - as I get caught up in the day-to-day pressures of working with angry teenagers, juggling work and play, and balancing my time with others v. myself - but, actually, my life is full of people and activities that I really enjoy. Not all people can say that. Makes me happy. Reminds me of a poem a friend once had embroidered on the front of her sweatshirt:

I love to run,
it makes me smile.
I think I'll run
another mile.

*Laura

No comments: